Tuesday, November 19, 2013

The Real Thing vs the Fake Thing

Well I have completed what I set out to do. I have finished the Chronicles of Narnia. It was an interesting journey which resulted in having a deeper appreciation for C.S. Lewis. I will most likely amend this blog site to include other writings of C.S. Lewis too.

The Last Battle was finished today, as I waited for my son. He was getting a root canal done, so I had much time to read. What did I think about this, the final installment of the series? What relation can we find to our life today?

As you can see by the title of this post, the real verse the fake seem to stand out to me. You see, what has happened is that there is a false Narnia that has been created. Complete with a false Aslan. How did this happen? Surly not in Narnia! But alas it does. So here is my question for you, the reader. How can we know if we are living in a false Christian world or not? How do we know that we are not following a false god?

I heard a report once about counterfeit money. The question posed to these workers, whose job it was to identify the fake money, how do you do it? You would think that maybe they would find and examine the fake money. That way they would know what they are looking for. The answer however was that they study the real money for hours and hours. They get to know everything about the real money. How it looks, how it feels, how it smells, and how it folds.  In fact they never even study the fake money at all. They study the real thing.

Likewise, we need to study God and God alone. When we spend hours and hours with God we will know when we are serving false gods. It is all too easy to slide and find ourselves thinking we are serving God when in reality were are serving ourselves.

So the people (or should I say, subjects) of Narnia are fooled. In the end though the real Aslan appears and destroys the fake Narnia. It is at the end where C.S. Lewis mentions the word Shadowlands. This is another word for our world. It is a beautiful descriptive word. Shadows can only happen where darkness is. In the world to come there will be no darkness, and therefor no shadows.

Thanks for those who read my thoughts as I read through these books.

Till next.

Doug Conrad

No comments:

Post a Comment