Friday, January 11, 2013

Does Lewis answer the question, Why we pray? Chapters 11-15

All through with The Magician's Nephew and was surprised by the ending. I didn't expect that at all. I will get back to that in a bit, but I would like to discuss what happens in chapter 12 first.

Digory and Polly are in Narnia and have met Aslan. They get hungry and are wanting food. The horse with them Fledge is eating the grass. Digory is complaining about meals not being arranged. He wonders why Aslan has not made arrangements for their food. Fledge suggests asking Aslan, but Polly thinks that Aslan should know with out being asked. Fledge replays, "I've no doubt he would, but I've a sort of idea that he likes to be asked."

No maybe when you read that you think of how husbands are supposed to know what their wives are thinking, but that's not where my mind went. I thought about pray. Now I realize that Aslan is not God but I think Lewis is using Aslan as a analogy. So going off that, I was thinking, why do we pray?

If God knows everything, why do we pray? Is is just an exercise for us to acknowledge God in our lives? Is it just for us to rely on God? I think CS Lewis is on to something.

God wants His children to ask Him, because that brings Him joy. Praying to God brings God joy. Makes Him happy. So next time you pray, think about that. You actions are making God happy.

Let me just conclude this entry by saying I was surprised by the ending of book 1. The apple that Digory brings back from Narnia, is planted. A tree grows, and then the wood from that tree is used to make the Wardrobe in book 2. I just didn't see that coming. Anyway enjoyed book 1, looking forward to book 2 (which I have seen the movies and have read portions before).

No comments:

Post a Comment